Welcome to our feature “A word from the expert”. In this feature, we introduce someone who has organized a conference in our region or will do so in the future. This month, we meet professor doctor Michael Jacobs, head of the department of vascular surgery at MUMC+ and UK Aachen.
1. Why did you choose your specialism?
I chose my specialism because of the contact with patients and for restoring heart and vascular defects by means of surgery.
2. Which conference have you managed to acquire for the Maastricht Region?
I am the Director of the yearly European Vascular Course in Maastricht. This congress was first organised in 2008 and has since become a yearly event with around 2300 participants.
3. Which were the competitive cities and what was the decisive reason to choose for Maastricht?
Competitors were Amsterdam, Paris, and Düsseldorf. We chose Maastricht because the conference venue MECC Maastricht offers the best options for our program, which includes over a 100 workshops. It is also very conveniently located across from the MUMC+, where I work.
4. In your opinion, what is the development perspective for the region?
Accessibility is something that could be improved. We have arranged shuttle busses to pick up our participants at the airports of Amsterdam, Brussels and Düsseldorf.
5. What does the Maastricht Convention Bureau mean to you?
We work closely with Pauwels Congress Organisers and Maastricht Convention Bureau. It is crucial for the city that Convention Bureau brings international conferences to Maastricht.